Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Two Experts Answer My Questions About Robots

I have a blog post on the National Geographic web site. It's about a TV series called Medabots. Check it out!

To have the right answers for that interview, I emailed some questions to two professors who know a lot about robots. I asked them five questions. Here are their answers.

The first man is named Dr. Rodney Brooks. He teaches at MIT. First I told him some of the things that Medabots can do:
- They can shoot bulllets out of their arms.
- They can swing chains with balls at the end and whallop their opponent.
- They can shoot gravity beams that can pin you down to the ground.
- They can fight with swords.
- They have cape shields that protect them from bullets.
- They can shock their opponents with electric shock.
- They can talk to people.
Then I asked Dr. Brooks my questions:
Question #1: Can real robots do all these things today?

Some robots can talk to people today, though not as naturally as two people talking together. If people wanted to they could make robots shoot bullets from their arm and to shock people with something like a taser. But some of the other things would require a change in the laws of physics as we know them -- don't expect gravity beams to be built by a bunch of engineers.

Question #2: By the 22nd century, do you think will robots be able to do these things? What other things will robots be able to do in 100 years?

I think that all except the gravity beams are plausible, but I would like to build robots that do good things for people rather than fight them. And I think in the next twenty years or so you are going to see lots of developments in robots to help the elderly live longer in their homes--when your dad is old he'll probably have a few robots around the house helping out.

Question #3: If you could, would you create Medabots? But before you answer this, think of the consequences: People would be walking around with their Medabots shooting bullets at each other. Bill Gates could research a way to make Medabots attack humans. Then, Bill Gates buys all the Medabots, and he takes over the world.

I'm much more interested in making robots that help people--as is Bill Gates.

Question #4: What robot powers would you like to have?

I'd like to be maintain my strength and eyesight--both of which are getting worse as I get older--I think in 20 years or so we'll start to see robotic implants to help people with these things (there are already implants available to help people hear--computers under their scalp and connections into the Cochlea).

Question #5: Why do people like robots? Why do YOU like robots?

I first started trying to build robots when I was 8 or 9 years old. I've never given up. I like to build machines that do things, completely by themselves. I'm having way too much fun doing it!!
Dr. Brooks also said this:
Caleb,
Don't forget to build some robots yourself--Lego is a good place to start!

I also emailed questions to Dr. Matt Mason. He is the main person at the Robotics Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. Here's what he said:
Question #1: Can real robots do all these things today?

No.
Bullets out of arms: no. There are a few robots that shoot bullets, by having a special gun attached.
Chains with balls at the end. No, but we could probably do it.
Gravity beams: No, and we don't know how to do it.
Swords: No, again.
Cape shields: no. Shields: yes. Some military robots are built with armor to deflect some types of weapons.
Electric shock: Not sure. I believe there may be some security guard robots equipped with Tasers.
Talk to people: Yes!!! I'm glad we can do at least one of these things.

Question #2: By the 22nd century, do you think will robots be able to do these things? What other things will robots be able to do in 100 years?

We could do most of those things now. Since anybody can build robots, I think we will see all of those things within maybe 10 years, except for gravity beams.

Question #3: If you could, would you create Medabots? But before you answer this, think of the consequences: People would be walking around with their Medabots shooting bullets at each other. Bill Gates could research a way to make Medabots attack humans. Then, Bill Gates buys all the Medabots, and he takes over the world.

I would build them for fun, to fight each other.

Question #4: What robot powers would you like to have?

Strength, I suppose. So far, human bodies and brains are way better, so I do not envy robots.

Question #5: Why do people like robots? Why do YOU like robots?

I think it is because they are like people, but different. If you think machines can be like people, then it seems anything could be possible. They could be immortal. They could think faster. They could be unselfish and clean up our rooms for us. Or, if you have a darker outlook, they could be merciless and powerful, and we might end up cleaning up their rooms for them.

I like them because it is a way of exploring scientific questions. What is purpose, where does it come from, can machines be independent, how can a human or a machine understand the world around him, and so forth.

Hope this helps!
-- Matt

Thank you, Dr. Brooks!
Thank you, Dr. Mason!

Tenha um dia agradável (That's Portuguese for "have a nice day.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may be interested in reading books and stories by a man named Issac Asimov on robots. When he wrote them, they were science fiction, but some are now science facts.

-Jake